There are a few things you can always try for all kinds of problems. These things won’t hurt your game or computer but they are not the ultimate solution either.
Sims 4 has the tendency to carry a bug over from one save game to another if you don’t shut your game down completely. If there’s a problem, close your game completely before trying another/new save game.
Before you report an issue in a forum, check if the issue only occurs in your current save game or also on a different (or new) one.
Steps to take
Backup your data before you try any of the things below.
Is your computer good enough ?
New computers do not necessarily exceed the games requirements. Make sure your computer fulfills them: System Requirements.
If you report an issue somewhere, you should include the following basic info about your system:
- Processor & Speed (ex: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 gHz)
- Amount of RAM (ex: 3072 MB RAM)
- Graphics Card (ex. nVidia GeForce 550Ti)
- Operating Syste (ex. MacOSX, Win 7, Win 10)
If you have a weak computer, turn down all graphics options, turn off any unnecessary programs and don’t use custom content or mods.
Also make sure your Windows is always updated. Download service packs and keep the Windows .Net Framework updated.
Windows PCs like to accumulate a lot of junk over the years. Programs don’t get uninstalled properly and leave traces in the Windows Registry. Deleting stuff of your hard disc leaves it fragmented and there are many temp files that are never used again.
Computers also like to accumulate dust and animal hair. Because of this it’s important to clean out your computer from time to time. There are a lot of good suggestions around the net. Just google it.
- Open up your desktop computer and clean it out.
- Make sure that the fans of your laptop are free and work properly
- Don’t place your laptop on bed sheets and other materials that prevent the fan from functioning properly
- You can do a lot of damage to your computer if it gets too hot
- Defrag the computer
- Clean the Registry with CCleaner
- Delete temp files with CCleaner
- Backup important data on a external drive or memory stick on a regular basis.
Anti Virus & Firewalls
Both are important and protect you from a lot of evil around the net. They sometimes do block connections and prevent you from up- and downloading things or from updating your software, though.
Because of this, you should add Origin and EA sites as an except to your programs (refer to the manual on how to do that for your product). Also make sure to whitelist ts4.exe, ts4_64.exe and origin.exe.
Windows now has a lot of security measurements to make sure external programs don’t harm your computer. This can be the reason that the game doesn’t have enough rights to execute a function and it gets blocked.The following tips need to be done for the exe-File of the game. It's best to do it for both the 32 bit Version (TS4.exe) as well as TS4_64.exe). Also add the Origin.exe file. Both Sims files can be found in the folder <Installation folder>\Game\Bin and \Game\Bin_LE The Origin file can be found in the folder you installed Origin in (Default: c:\programs(x86)\Origin)
- Turn off controlled folder Access or add the files as exceptions
- Add Sims 4 and Origin as an exception to your Antivirus/Firewall (refer to the handbook of the software you use)
- Start the game and Origin as administrator.
Origin gives you trouble
A lot of issue can be pinpointed on corrupt installations or issues with Origin itself.
Try the following things first:
Delete your cache files
Remove all custom content and mods
- Open the following folder: Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4
- Select the folder Mods and right-click on Cut.
- Go to your desktop and right-click on Paste
- Delete all cache files (again)
Remove your user files
- Open the folder Documents\Electronic Arts\
- Rename the folder Sims 4 in Sims 4 Backup
- Start the game.
More details can be found here: Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling
If things go weird in game
- Travel with your Sim to a different lot
- Reset your Sims
- Move your Sim to a different lot through Manage World
- Restart the game
- Restart the computer