To be able to load faster, the games stores data in so called cache files. The game checks on startup if those files are available and if so, they are loaded. If they are not available, they are created.
Over time these files accumulate out-of-date data (especially if you use custom content and mods) and because of this, it’s best to delete them from time to time (just as you delete your browsers cache from time to time)
Which files are those ?
The files can be found in your user files in
documents\Electronic Art\The Sims 4
The following files are cache files that can be deleted safely and that will help with troubleshooting.
- localthumbcache.package –> Delete this from time to time and also if you add/remove mods.
- cache –> Only has content while the game is running. You can safely delete any content. Only used for gallery preview pictures now.
- cachewebkit –> Only exists when the game is running. If it stays behind because of a crash, you can delete
- lastcrash.txt and lastexception.txt (and variations of those) –> These files log errors that occur in your game. They can give you some indication but especially the lastcrash.txt ones are mostly gibberish. I recommend deleting those but you constantly get them, they are a good indication what the issue might be. There’s several people at several forums/discords that can help you with those. The ones with numbers are usually older and can be safely deleted.
- avatarcache.package –> Used to fix a Mac Error with the gallery. Can’t hurt to delete from time to time as it may grow in size the more you are in the gallery.
lotcachedData–> This no longer exists. Delete it if you still have it.
There are other files that can be deleted safely but I don’t think they help with problems. Because of this they are not listed here. You can find more information here: User files explained.