Many problems can be pinpointed on cc or corruption in your user data. There’s an easy way to reset your game to factory settings without going through the ordeal of reinstalling the whole thing.
Steps to take
Path can be different depending on your OS:
- Make a backup of the Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts to an external or flash drive.
- Rename the The Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts to The Sims 4_Backup
- Start the game (All your save games will be gone, your options will be reset to factory settings and all your custom content will be gone. Not to worry, it’s all still there in that backup folder).
- A new The Sims 4 folder will have been recreated in the documents\Electronic Arts folder. Some folders might be missing for they are only created when you need them.
- You will need to start a new game for the other one is still missing right now.
See if your error is gone. If so, you can put starting the folders back.
The following folder contain files you might need. Test after every folder and put them back in the following order (more details on the folder can be found here: User files explained):
- Options(.ini): Your graphic/sounds/gameplay options. You can also simply re-set them
- Saves: Your save games. More details on what you need can be found here: Save Games. Then content of the two sub folders are not needed. If the game starts to act up again, put each save game back separately and testing afterwards to see what can be saved.
- Screenshots: The screen shoots you have taken in game.
- Custom Music: If you have any custom music, put them back.
- Tray: All your houses, Sims and rooms. If the game starts to act up again, put each file group back separately and testing afterwards to see what can be saved.
- Mods: Your custom content or mods. If the game starts to act up again, put each file group back separately and testing afterwards to see what could cause the issue.
The rest is not really needed and recreates itself although I’m not 100% about all files yet. Don’t get rid of your backup just yet until you’ve tested the game throughly