Update April, 16th 2019
Patch 1.51.75 fixes this bug but only for newly adopted animals. Pets that already had this issue will still be bugged, new ones should be fine. This should be getting fixed in a future patch.
Previously bugged pets can be fixed with the solution below.
My Sim doesn’t have the option to lecture their pet or become companions although the animal did something bad and they have a high relationship
The issue affects adopted pets. All Sims that had a friendship with the animal before the adoption are missing a relationship bit that identifies the Sim as owner of the pet which in turn prevents them from being able to lecture/become companions.
The missing relationship bit can be added via cheat. You will need a mod to enable the cheat but you can remove the mod after fixing the Sim.
- Download TwistedMexi’s AllCheats Mod and add it to your game.
- You will need the following cheats:
- For yourSimID: sims.get_sim_id_by_name <yoursimfirstname> <yoursimlastname> (Name of the affected Sim)
- For targetSimID: sims.get_sim_id_by_name <yoursimfirstname> <yoursimlastname> (Name of the affected Pet)
- relationship.add_bit <yoursimID> <targetsimID> <relationshipBit> (RelationshipBit is either catOwned for cats dogOwned for dogs
- After doing this you should be able to lecture and become companions again.
How to prevent
Create your pets in CAS or do not befriend them before adopting when you get them through the adoption agency.
If you want to adopt a stray, there’s no way to prevent this bug cause you need to befriend the animal before you can adopt it.
Mods that help with the issue
- scoldpetsfix by Bienchen