My game suddenly completely freezes and I can’t do anything. After a while it even crashes.
The issue is caused by the Winterfest .. in detail: The creation of Father Winter.
Father Winter (or rather his beard) can’t be correctly created by the game because of an exception. This leads to the game endlessly creating Sims with the Father_Winter trait. This in turn bloats the save and that has influence on the save game
If you already have Father Winter in your game (named as Clemens Frost), you should be safe but I recommend making a backup before Winterfest just in case.
EA is aware of the issue and working on it
Typically this issue comes with any of the following symptoms
- The game/clock freezes (Info: If your Sim freezes but time goes on then you most likely have a deadlock between Sims somewhere. That’s a different issue)
- After a while the game crashes (this happens when the game has eat up all your RAM – yes, even if you have 64 GB of it. This can be monitored with the Task Manager)
- The game takes forever to load
- The game saves endlessly
- If you can save, the size will exponentially grow in size (Savegame Bloating)
Affected saves can only be repaired with a mod, since the households are hidden and can’t be manually deleted. If you have 6000 or more households, you don’t really want to do that anyways
Because of this, there’s only one solution: Load a backup of your save.
As an alternative you can put your save game aside and hope that EA solves this bug in a way that the faulty households get deleted. Play a different save in the meantime.
You can also upload your houses/Sims to gallery (if the save allows) and just place them in a fresh save. You will loose all non-household relationships.
How to Prevent
If you currently don’t have a Father Winter, avoid the Winterfest (or remove Father Winter as a Tradition)
If you do have one, make a backup of your save before attempting Winterfest.
Mods that help with the issue
You need both mods if your save game is already affected from the issue. If not, use LeRoiDeTout’s mod, to fix the LastException that causes the issue. With the mod in, there should be no issues having Winterfests.
- MC Command Center by Deaderpool to delete the excessive amount of hidden households (Instructions below)
- Should_Fix_SIAFU_Error by LeRoiDeTout, to fix the exception and play normally.
Please click me too on this thread if you’re affected by the issue