This bug was fixed in Patch 1.69.57/ 1.35
The LastException which was responsible for the endless generating of Father Winters was fixed
What does that mean in detail ?
Not affected saves games
You can now have Winterfest with Father Winter again without fearing it will screw up the save. Do backup your save BEFORE the winterfest under a new name to be sure though
(still under investigation from my side)
If your save game can be saved or not depends on how heavy it’s broken. The easiest method is in every case to load a backup from before Winterfest, if you have one.
- If your save doesn’t load and hangs on the plumbob loading screen, there’s probably nothing one can do to save this.
- If your save loads but freezes within minutes: Hard to save, lots of work involved.
- If you can load your save and play for a while: Try to play until the night and hope that culling takes care of the Father Winters. You might need to play some, then save your game under a new name, dann re-load and so forth until you make it there.
- I had a Winterfest in my game but Father Winter never showed up.
- My game suddenly completely freezes and I can’t do anything. After a while it even crashes. The animations go on.
The game has an issue with creating Father Winter and does this endlessly. Because of this, Father Winter doesn’t show in your game and the game starts freezing.
Father Winter (or rather his beard) can’t be correctly created by the game because of an exception. This leads to the game endlessly creating Sims with the Father_Winter trait. Since the game is in an endless loop it will start using all your RAM and finally crashes to the desktop if all RAM is used up.
If you already have Father Winter in your game (named as Clemens Frost), you should be safe but I recommend making a backup before Winterfest just in case.
The save game will start increasing in size because of the insane amount of households being generated and this in turn leads to endless loading times if you try to load that save game again.
Typically this issue comes with any of the following symptoms
- You had a winterfest and Father Winter never showed.
- The game/clock freezes (Info: If your Sim freezes but time goes on then you most likely have a deadlock between Sims somewhere. That’s a different issue)
- You can’t click anywhere. The clock stays on the current speed, you can’t change between Sims and the interactions menus are not appearing anymore.
- You get a lastException: Exception while updating the sim filter service.. (TypeError: apply_permanent_appearance_modifiers() missing 1 required positional argument: ‘additional_flags’)
- The usage of your RAM is insanely high (you can check this in your task manager)
- After a while the game crashes (this happens when the game has eat up all your RAM – yes, even if you have 64 GB of it)
- The game takes forever to load
- The game saves endlessly
- It doesn’t matter which household you play. The problem appears anywhere.
- If you can save, the size will exponentially grow in size (Savegame Bloating)
Affected saves can only be repaired with a mod, since the households are hidden and can’t be manually deleted. If you have 6000 or more households, you don’t really want to do that anyways
The best solution is: Load a backup of your save.
As an alternative you can put your save game aside and hope that EA solves this bug in a way that the faulty households get deleted. Play a different save in the meantime.
You can also upload your houses/Sims to gallery (if the save allows) and just place them in a fresh save. You will loose all non-household relationships.
How to Prevent
If you currently don’t have a Father Winter, avoid the Winterfest (or remove Father Winter as a Tradition)
If you do have one, make a backup of your save before attempting Winterfest.
Mods that help with the issue
You need both mods if your save game is already affected from the issue. If not, use LeRoiDeTout’s mod, to fix the LastException that causes the issue. With the mod in, there should be no issues having Winterfests.
- MC Command Center by Deaderpool to delete the excessive amount of hidden households (Instructions below)
- Should_Fix_SIAFU_Error by LeRoiDeTout, to fix the exception and play normally.
Please click me too on this thread if you’re affected by the issue