In a few days the newest expansion pack Discover University will be released and EA/Maxis has adjusted the minimum requirements again. The change indicates that after the patch the 32 bit version will no longer be supported and the Legacy Edition that was announced earlier this year will probably be released soon.
The adjusted requirements can be found on Origin.
For PC, a 64 bit operation system will now be a requirement. Since Cats & Dogs the requirements do list 64 bit already but in reality it was still possible to play the expansions on 32 bit as well (unsupported). For the upcoming packs this will no longer be the case. If you don’t have a 64 bit operating system, the pack will not run. If you already preordered the pack, I suggest to cancel that or consider an upgrade to 64 bit. All information can be found here: Maxis drops support for 32 bit operating systems and Non-Metal Mac OS machines
For Mac there will be no changes when it comes to 32/64 bit as Mac has always been 64 bit since it came out. There are changes as well though as computers without Metal will no longer be able to run the pack either.
- MacBook models introduced in 2015 or later
- MacBook Air models introduced in 2012 or later
- MacBook Pro models introduced in 2012 or later
- Mac mini models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro models introduced in late 2013, plus mid-2010 or mid-2012 models with a recommended Metal-capable graphics card.