Wow, I don’t know what to write. There’s A LOT of stuff. I hope it all fits in one WP post.
64 Bit and Disabling mods (valid from THIS patch onward) have been known for a while now but there’s so much more. They’re addressing culling (make sure to read the last bit of the patch notes for an explanation on that) and the musical chairs bug is also addressed although I don’t know if it’s fixed completely. I did still see a Sim switch places at the Get Together Event in Cologne. As long as we see a significant reduce in Sims playing musical chairs, I’m quite happy though.
Collectors will be please to read that the Outdoor insects such as the blue morpho are back in the game and I’m especially happy that this error might just be a thing of the past: Save game was saved with a newer version. Save games will most probably still corrupt, but it’s not affecting ALL your save game with a cryptic error message any more.
There is still lots more that needs addressing and my plan for the Christmas break is a complete overhaul of the compiled list over at the AnswerHQ Bug Forum. I will be moving old threads that have had no answer in over a year to an archive thread so that only the current ones remain on the list. Everyone is welcome to assist me in this by coming over and check if there’s an issue you still have and if there is, please make a post in the appropriate thread to bump the it. This way I will know it’s still an active issue.
Be aware that not every fix is in the patch notes. I depend on you to keep the list updated. If you reported a bug, please check if you still have it and report back. Thanks for your help.
How is everyone? It’s the holiday season… have you been good?
…you know, nobody ever really defined for me the limits of good in the context of the holiday seasonal question of naughty or nice. I was mostly good… I hope.
Anyway, given that I have also failed to define “good” for you, we have plenty of gifts to pass around no matter what your naughty/nice standing may be with the polar ice powers.
So, on with the unwrapping… what’d you get?
But wait… there’s more!
…we have a few issues we have been looking into as well.
But that’s not all?
Well, that’s about it for now… I hope that you have a wonderful December.
[/sappiness warning] Remember that it is better to give than to receive. Go out and give. [/end of sappiness]
Thank you for your time and attention… and Happy Holidays to you!
I wanted to take a moment to speak directly to one of our most important issues.
We have listened to your feedback on culling and performance. And we have been, and will continue to address these issues, and have a group dedicated to them.
Some of the work they have been doing recently has been focused on optimizing load times, reducing memory usage, and increasing performance… but what about culling? Well, it turns out culling happens because of the need of those three items: load times, memory usage, and performance.
- Outdoor Retreat was over using our compatibility region filters (when a Sim is requested for a “thing” we use a filter to determine who). Such that when the filter failed to find someone that fit the requirements exactly (male, bartending skill 5, young adult), it created a new Sim to fit the role rather than allowing for some flexibility (bartending 4 or 6 is probably just as well).
- Along the same lines, we took the above fix and made it general – rather than always creating exactly what was requested by the game, we allow flexibility. Reducing the number of new Sims being created, that more often than not, would just come and go without the player realizing.
- Get to Work added aliens, and one of the requests of the spawning system was to create disguised aliens. Turns out we were creating A LOT of disguised aliens. Not on purpose, but there was a cool down assigned to the spawned Sim that would then prevent them from spawning again in a given period of time. Sadly, the system was requesting ‘in disguise’ aliens more frequently than the cooldown’s timer… and thus creating brand new Sims on each request. We adjusted the tuning, and saw an increase in performance.
- We have spent some time optimizing lighting draw calls, to assist with framerate issues while in Build Mode.
- We removed some data duplication between the game side code and Create A Sim code, saving around 50kb per Sim data (also known as SimInfos).
- The smaller the size of a SimInfo, the faster it is to load a given Sims information.
- We discovered a large memory and performance spike as a result of inventories. Turns out that NPCs, who don’t need to know exactly what is in their inventory when they are an NPC, were carrying around large amounts of data and in some cases could have many hundreds of inventory objects, resulting in slow load times, and memory/performance spikes when the NPC was created.
- Now NPCs do not instantiate most of the objects in their inventories until needed. This provides a much needed relief in the runtime performance spikes in our test environment.
These are some of the specific issues we have addressed recently, all with the goal of making the game stable, performant, and enjoyable. Please know that we are always looking at performance, culling, memory, and load time optimization issues among our highest priority issues. And while we can’t always speak to them, we are always appreciative of your feedback.