I get the following error message when I try to start the game
Unable to start: The Sims™ 4 is already running.
This error has to do with missing rights or blocking of the user folder. The actual message is a bit misleading. In most cases the game isn’t already running.
Option AThe following tips need to be done for the exe-File of the game. It's best to do it for both the 32 bit Version (TS4.exe) as well as TS4_64.exe). Also add the Origin.exe file. Both Sims files can be found in the folder <Installation folder>\Game\Bin and \Game\Bin_LE The Origin file can be found in the folder you installed Origin in (Default: c:\programs(x86)\Origin)
- Turn off controlled folder Access or add the files as exceptions
- Add Sims 4 and Origin as an exception to your Antivirus/Firewall (refer to the handbook of the software you use)
- Start the game and Origin as administrator.
- Go to this folder: Documents\Electronic Arts
- Right click on it and choose “Properties”.
- Choose the tab Sharing and and press the button Sharing …
- In the new window, choose Everyone from the drop-down list and click Add
- Everyone will be added to the list below. Choose Read/write as permission level
- Save the changes.
- Try to start the game again
- Make sure the game is in fact not running by checking the Task-Manager and looking at the processes. Look for The Sims 4, ts4.exe or ts4_64.exe and shoot down the process.
- Repair the game through Origin