As many other things patching is now done through Origin. There are no manual patches as in Sims 3 and we probably get them more often too.
To find more about what patches do, refer to my FAQ in my Sims 3 Blog: Bugs & Patches. Not everything there applies to the Sims 4.
Turn off automatic updates
To turn off automatic updates, follow the following steps. Be aware that there are now critical and non-critical patches. If you choose to not install a critical patch, you won’t be able to run the game at all.
- Open Origin
- Choose Origin –> Application Settings –> General
- Remove the tick next to Automatically keep my games up to date
Be aware that this will affect all your Origin games and you will need to update them yourself. Origin will update your games automatically on start up, if you leave the option ticked
You can also set if you want Origin itself to automatically update.
Update the game
If you decided to turn off automatic updates, you’ll need to update it at the time of your choosing yourself.
- Open Origin
- Choose My Games and click on the game.
- Origin will tell you if there is an available update
- Click on the link Update Now to update your game.
How to find your game Version
Since Sims 4 does not have a launcher and Origin does not give you the Game version, you will need to check in your user files or in game
In documents\electronicarts\The Sims 4 you’ll find a file called GameVersion.txt. Open that with any text editor and it will give you your version. You will need to start the game at least once after patching to update the file.
As an alternative you can check the following file: programs(x86)\Origin_Games\The Sims 4\game\bin\default.ini. This file will update after patching. No need to start the game.
In game you can use the cheat VERSION to have the version displayed to you
- 1.0.601, Final Version
- Patch 1.0.625.10, Day 1 Patch
- Patch 1.0.671.10, 2014/09/06
- Patch 1.0.677.20, 2014/09/09
- Patch 1.0.728.0, 2014/09/25
- Patch 1.0.732.20, 2014/10/01
- Patch 1.0.797.20, 2014/10/21
- Patch 220.127.116.11, 2014/11/04
- Patch 18.104.22.168, 2014/11/25
- Patch 22.214.171.1240, 2014/12/16
- Patch 126.96.36.1990, 2015/01/13
- Patch 188.8.131.520, 2015/01/22 –> Just a minor patch, correcting some configuration issues.
- Patch 184.108.40.2060, 2015/02/03
- Patch 220.127.116.110, 2015/02/20 –> Mac only. Fixes issues with custom content and mods.
- Patch 18.104.22.1680 / 22.214.171.1240 (Mac), 2015/03/10
- Patch 126.96.36.1990 / 188.8.131.520 (Mac), 2015/03/26
- Patch 184.108.40.2060 / 220.127.116.110 (Mac), 2015/04/13
- Patch 18.104.22.1680 / 22.214.171.1240 (Mac), 2015/05/04
- Patch 126.96.36.1990 / 188.8.131.520 (Mac), 2015/05/14
- Patch 184.108.40.2060 / 220.127.116.110 (Mac), 2015/05/15 –> Just minor patch, correcting some crashing issue